What is Life Coaching?
Life Coaches accept that people have the solutions for their lives within them, but may need the support of a partner to provide, a safe, confidential and non-judgmental environment in which to clarify their goals; increase awareness of their options, as well as awareness of blocks to their progress and identify and select a plan to move forward.
Unlike Consultants, Coaches see clients as the expert on their own lives, and will partner with clients to implement a plan they both develop. Unlike Mentors, Coaches do not focus on promoting themselves as models of success, rather they are experts on the “coaching process” and use the process to move clients forward in their lives. Unlike Sports Coaches, Life Coaches do not promote win-lose, rather “win-win,” as Coaches help clients assess what the impact of their choices will be on their significant relationships and their personal, work, and societal contexts. Unlike Therapists, Coaches do not treat mental illnesses or dwell on the past or dysfunction, nor try to analyze behaviour. Coaches focus on the opportunities that life experiences provide and on solutions that will take clients from where they are now, to where they want to be.
Life Coaches focus on “How?” versus “Why?” and assist clients to develop solutions that honour their values.
The Coaching Process Includes:
- Listening intuitively to clients to pick up on the connections between what is being said, and felt, as well as what is not being said.
- Asking empowering questions which are open-ended to allow clients to explore more deeply for their own solutions.
- Constructively challenging clients to face inconsistencies that they share about their life and the matters that they wish to be supported on.
- Using tools to create action plans to enable clients to get the results they seek.
- Holding clients accountable for follow-through actions that they had selected to move forward .
- Helping clients see things from different perspectives in-order to get a fuller view of the matters they are experiencing.
- Acknowledging, validating, and celebrating clients.
- Maintaining the focus on the client by honoring the client’s agenda.
How Will You Benefit From Coaching?
- By being an equal partner with the coach in shaping your life in a non-authoritarian, highly collaborative relationship. You bring your knowledge of yourself, your values and what you want to accomplish. The coach brings expertise in the coaching process.
- By setting and accomplishing goals that reflect your values and not those of other significant persons in your life that you may feel obligated to please.
- By enjoying the luxury of being listened to with curiosity and respect, without competing with technology or other persons or other commitments for attention.
- By being able to be vulnerable, and transparent, and real without receiving judgement.
- By discovering new ways of looking at your life; the significant persons in your life; and the circumstances that impact your life.
- By learning new skills that increase confidence and competence in self-care, family life, interpersonal relationships, and professional life.
- By getting the things you want done—done.
- By going well beyond limits set by others &/or self-imposed limits.
- By being held accountable, supported and championed to attain the better life you want.
Why Do People Seek Life Coaching Services?
- To maintain well being or to receive support to deal with significant life experiences related to: Personal Development, Family, Parenting, Intimate Relationships, Social Relationships, Personal Finance, Health, Aging, Spirituality, Professional Life, Fun & Enjoyment.
- To pay attention to self.
- To maintain the connection between their values and their decisions, their choices and their actions.
- To overcome a habit.
- To develop/improve coping skills.
- To clarify and set short-term and long-term goals and stay on course.
- To deal with procrastination/avoidance in relation to significant matters.
- To make a decision.
- To experience a shift in attitude and emotional responses.
- To explore options.
- To prepare for a challenging event or experience.
- To facilitate employee development &/or business development.
What Skills Are Used in Life Coaching? (Not an exhaustive list)
- Focus on inner work and outer work
- Holographic thinking
- Goal Setting
- Powerful questioning
- Values clarification
- Un-covering Energy Blockers
- Intuitive listening
- Personal Life Rules Identification
- Sessions are typically 30 – 60 minutes / once per week
- Average coaching relationship lasts 3 months for individuals / 6 months for companies. This has been found to be an effective period for a client to develop the capacity to move forward and independently on a significant issue. In addition, the 3 or 6 month period allows the client / client company respectively, adequate time to evaluate during the period, whether the coaching relationship is providing observable, measurable and tangible positive results. However, the length of the relationship will vary depending on the nature of the client’s goal for seeking coaching services.
- Life Coaching can be done by phone as well as in person. The phone option is popular and suitable for individuals. Contact by phone may be preferred by busy clients who wish a convenient method of communicating between commitments; or clients who are self-consciousness and shy about speaking about personal issues. The telephone option also enables great flexibility for continuity of coaching sessions as client and coach are unrestricted by location.
Specialities in the Life Coaching Industry (not an exhaustive list)
- Life Coach
- Health & Wellness Coach
- Business Coach
- Corporate Coach
- Executive Coach
- Career Coach
- Spiritual Coach
- Financial Coach
101 Things to Work On With a Coach
CLICK HERE FOR 101 Things to Work on With a Coach! – Coach University, 1997
- The Institution for Professional Excellence in Coaching (iPEC) / www.ipeccoaching.com
- The 8 Skills for Effective Coaching by Duncan Brodle – http://ezinearticles.com/?The-8-Key-Skills-For-Effective-Coaching&id=747747)
- To 10 Professional Life Coaching Myths – http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-57345386/top-10-professional-life-coaching-myths/
CONTACT US: To Learn More about Coaching and Schedule a Coaching Session by Phone
Our Coaching Sessions for personal clients (not companies) – Done by phone or internet telephony e.g. skype and we serve local and international clients.
Our Coaching Appointments – Weekday evenings after working hours & Saturdays during the day.
Contact Cheryll Messam, CPC
Certified Professional Coach
International Clients: 954-762-7942;
Local Clients in Jamaica : 876-357-6397
Connect With Us Via Social Media
Linked in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cheryllmessam